View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2017, 4:14 pm   #25
PsychMan
Octode

Default Re: AR88 Low HT

I think it will need aligning, I can already see the dial doesn't reflect the signal being received on band 1(from an sstran), performance wise I noticed it's a bit of a whistle box on some bands. I'll have a go at that after redoing the bathtubs and possibly all the micamolds. I try and avoid the shotgun approach now, but I might be chasing too many faults caused by rubbish capacitors otherwise.

After playing with it for a short time it's also gone almost dead on any non noise limited mode. man nl, avc nl behave fine, others low volume and audible hum.

So, no more fun for now! Still chuffed to get some life from it, I expect it to need a lot more TLC until I can properly use it. The rectifier is original, and the mains lead has been replaced in the 60s I believe and hard wired to the correct tap - far as I can see, will double check that. The lead is in good nick (industrious pvc I think), as well as the plug so I'll be keeping those.

In case anyone is interested it came with an old photo copy (or Banda) of the original manual with "SSB products" and the name Norman Birkett stamped on it, with an address in Truro. I'd imagine this was the chap the previous owner bought the receiver from, perhaps in the early 80s. There's a call sign also but can't recall just now and am away for a few days