View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2016, 11:02 am   #1
indigo.girl
Retired Dormant Member

Default My first valve radio project - Philips 462A

Hello everyone,
Well, I've been tinkering around with transistor radiograms on here for a while now but now its time to dive into my first valve radio project. I picked up a 1947 Philips 462A radio from an auction for a couple of quid and am looking forward to restoring this beauty

Click image for larger version

Name:	462_1.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	134777

So far I have cleaned and disassembled to I can see what I've got. The case looks nice - it still has the glass panel - but is missing its philips badge and two knobs but overall is in good condition. The valves are all present and correct and none look obviously blown (AZ31, EBL21 and 2 x ECH21). I've read around the topic and have seen quite a few useful threads on the 462A. I have also read the general info on this site about restoring radios so my plan is to first replace some of the old capacitors and go from there.

My questions:
1) From my reading it seems that yellow wax caps are the most likely to go faulty so I'm planning to replace all (there are 5). There are also some black ones - should I also replace these or seeing as they 'look' ok just leave them for now.

Name:	462_6.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	134775Click image for larger version

Name:	462_7.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	134776

2) What about the caps on the top in tins? Do these need opening up and looking at or just leave for now.

Name:	462_4.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	134778

3) I will download the service data next - there are 3 available - called ERT, manufacturers and traders. Which is the best to use?

4) Mains supply is via the old two prong plug that locates into the back of the radio. I'd like to replace for a fixed mains supply and add an earth. Both wires behind the mains socket are yellow so I can't tell which is live and which is neutral. They both wire into the on/off/volume pot. Is there a way to distinguish? Where can I attach the earth?

Name:	462_8.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	134774

5) Any other obvious tests/replacements before I switch on?