View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2020, 10:44 am   #8
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: CR-70A receiver Checkout

I had one of these in the mid seventies. It belonged to a young lad whose mother told me had "gone off" his radio hobby as I wrote out a cheque for £13!
That looked new as well. Yes Codar Products, they were very interesting and [like Sinclair stuff] something you would read about a bit enviously but [for what they were] seemed very expensive in the mid sixties. Ten years later I could easily afford the secondhand one but it would have been out of the question for me a decade earlier. I think the IF injection re the BFO was via a "capacitor" [ie a twisted wire]. [Although I could be thinking of another set from a multi branded [Lafayette?] range of basic 5 valve sets that looked very much like proper communications receivers but weren't really]. At least with the Codar range there was no gloss and what you see is what you get! I've a Codar 66 in the north [twin dials] but that's definitely in a poor state. There was discussion and some criticism on the Forum some time ago Graham, as you say but it may relate to the relative cost as much as the technical spec which you have shown to be quite reasonable. What happened to the Company is a bit of a mystery but perhaps they were priced out in the end ? I did some research myself and traced them to an address here on the south coast-Havant I think but there's little else available

Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 30th Jun 2020 at 10:51 am.