View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2011, 7:29 pm   #55
westcliff
Hexode

Default Re: KB FB10 "Toaster"

Hi Rich. I've used silicone and heatshrink sleeving while working on this set. Any old wiring that looked okay, I left alone. The only wires I didn't put sleeving on are connections to chassis and really short bits.

Your comment made me think though. I remember reading somewhere on this site that the original sleeving used on '40s and '50s radios could get sticky and when it was sticky, it could conduct. The lead from the transformer to V4 pin 7, has old sticky sleeving on it. I mentioned in post 45 that the lead was too short to route round the edges of the chassis, so it goes directly across the chassis to the pin. It doesn't touch anything, but the mains cable is underneath it. When I fasten the base on to the case, the mains cable may push it upwards, on to the components above.

Is the sticky sleeving story true? I've decided to re-route the transformer lead anyway, but it would be useful to know one way or the other.

The set's status today is "buzzing". Last night it was working before I screwed the case on.

Gus.