View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2019, 10:03 am   #1
MeerKat
Hexode

Default Teac X2000R, non-worker – what to check?

I have been offered one of these for £1000, it's a non-worker at the moment, see abbreviated seller description below.

Used but in excellent cosmetic condition, few wear and tear marks on counter surround and case. Replaced capstan motor and belt and stripped and cleaned reel motors, stripped and freed off/lubricated pinch roller arms. Replaced belt as the old one had broken and capstan motor as sound fluctuated, when I stripped motor found 2 of the 8 winding connections were broken. Tested and play, fast forward worked fine but rewind wouldn’t work, you could trick it to rewind if you put slight pressure on the tension arms so definitely a tension problem, Reel motors did work fine when tension arm manipulated. While I was trying to adjust tension all motors stopped working. Have been told that by putting pressure on tension arms this can cause a transistor or 2 to get hot and burn out. At this point I am out of my depth and don’t know how to repair this. Would need a repair from a professional service to sort electrical fault and adjust tape tension etc to get the best out of this machine and get rewind working properly, I don’t have the equipment or knowledge to set this up, Need a Tentelometer to set up tension and electrical circuit board proficiency to repair. Has been stored and not used for a few years, Have carried out the repairs listed above within the last month to get ready to sell.

Now I will able to examine the machine and will insist on removing it from it's case for inspection before I part with shekels.

So my friends what should I be looking for?

I have done some research, I will be checking the heads for wear and wear pattern, this should be minimal. I will inspect for storage induced problems and anything else visual.

Tentelometer – is there a way to rig a tension gauge to use instead of this?

Your thoughts will be most welcome.

Illegitimi non carborundum