View Single Post
Old 30th May 2019, 9:46 pm   #188
Paul_A_R
Triode

Default Re: Old torches - anyone here collect them?

Thanks for the offer M0TGX Terry but I have tested them and both bulbs work. Neither torch looks like it has had much use so I am hopeful these bulbs will last. They will not be everyday torches.

I did not post a picture of the Goltone torch so that is rectified below. That is the main variant in the Ward and Goldstone patent. The Duchess type being an alternative to allow it to be powered from one battery.

Again a rather nice torch this time with the clear bulb but again the flat type.

I don't suppose anyone knows what batteries this would use? The compartment is 40mm high so the battery would be slightly smaller than that to allow for the top and bottom contacts. McMurdo posted an advert with some similar (though no doubt cheaper and Empire made) Pifco torches. I have seen a photo of the innards of one of these but it had batteries running lengthways (so a AAA fits) rather than top to bottom as the design calls for. I have also seen an American Boy Scout metal torch which had the same layout and the same reddish card inset with battery orientation indented in it. But sadly no batteries were shown.

For completeness I attach some photos of the Duchess now working. I took The Philpott's advice about depleted batteries and raided a part used 3LR12 for two of the cells cut the plastic container down to fit the two cells and created my own 2LR12. I could not find any photos of Ever Ready (or indeed Volex) batteries but did find some good ones of Pile Wonder so my Panasonic cells are masquerading as French.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Goltone1.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	184195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Goltone2.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	184196   Click image for larger version

Name:	Goltone3.jpg
Views:	184