View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2017, 8:32 am   #116
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: HMV 1804 Television.

I think you have done a great job on this 1804 David. It's very much a tribute to the guy that carried out all that work to improve the sensitivity of what is basically a 1939 chassis. I wonder what he would say he if knew his 1804 was once again showing a picture in 2017, seventy years after it was originally produced at Hayes.

I wonder how extreme fringe reception looked like back then on his much modified chassis?

I must have been about nine years old, on holiday with my Gran in Thornaby. We visited an uncle who had just purchased his first TV. Oddly for me I cannot remember the make of it but I remember him switching the channel selector from the local signal to another ITA channel that was very snowy indeed. He said it had alternative programmes that were sometimes better than the 'local'.

As a teenager my sister Yvonne had friends at Folkstone in Kent and used to visit them. She celebrated her 80th Birthday back in May. I remember her telling me that the picture was covered in snow and was unwatchable during certain weather conditions.
John.