View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2019, 3:59 pm   #7
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Sinclair Spectrum considerations

I have owned (and own) several. My choice would be the ZX spectrum plus 128k, the final 'real' sinclair spectrum made.

The plus two and plus two A, despite having the best keyboard, will need the internal cassette decks refurbishing by now. You say you aren't up for refurbing, so that kind of rules them out.
The plus two A also suffered from some software compatibility problems. For me, the biggest disadvantage is that on neither plus 2 version can you adjust the playback volume, so if you have a slightly under-level recorded cassette, you're stuffed. On the older ones like the 128k Plus, you can use any working cassette machine you may have.

The original 48k has a terrible rubber keyboard. The plus models had a slightly better keyboard (but still a bit unusual with those tapered keys). The 128k one will offer greater range of compatible software and better sound.

I would look a microdrive if you can find one, like a miniature 8 track cartridge tape. They load quickly and are really unique! A multiface is useful for dumping software to them.

Cannot comment on the plus 3 but it uses CF2 discs, which are scarce. Okay if you have a stash I suppose. And a lot quicker then tapes obviously.

Then there was the Sam coupé, the final gasp for the spectrum format but probably rare as hen's teeth by now.

Ah, the memories!

edit: I believe you can get plug in SD card interfaces, which would mean super quick loading of software. Never investigated this myself though. I suppose this would mean it would not matter if you found a Plus two with a broken cassette deck, if all your software was put onto SD.

Last edited by ben; 13th Aug 2019 at 4:10 pm.