View Single Post
Old 10th Jul 2019, 8:20 pm   #1
MeerKat
Hexode

Default Revox A77 refurbishment advice please.

Hi peoples,

I have recently become the owner of a Mk 4 (3 3/4 & 7½ ips, two track), Its done very little hours, It's just about pristine externally with no signs of wear to tape path or heads. The down side is although stored in the original box it has at some time been stored in damp conditions, there is a light 'bloom' on the case in places, all the internal cabling has a white deposit that easily rubs of with your fingers and most of the cadmium plated parts have 'fur' on them to a greater or lesser degree, also one or two rust spots on the motors. The aluminium is unblemished.

I have replaced 3 cracked Rifas on the relay board and one on the Capstan motor speed control board, while I had it out I went over it with the meter and found a shorted capacitor, a white 10uF job, C203, this is in the bias network of the speed transducer amplifier IC201a, this was causing the motor to race as full volts were being applied to it.

I have adjusted the brake solenoid and the gap between the bands and the brake drums, this seems to have cured a tape spilling problem in FF & RWD near the ends of a 7” tape.

I notice at switch on the VU meter needles bang against the end stops twice in quick succession, is this normal?

Also I would appreciate advice on what I should replace as a matter of course in this 43 year old machine?

Illegitimi non carborundum