View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2014, 8:28 pm   #4
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

Default Re: Telequipment D65 Intermittent fault

I don't think I have ever been called a "Beauty" before!
I have come across this sort of problem many times. The problem is that simply applying an iron and more solder is OK until next time. Maybe days, maybe years.
One technique I developed (probably not suitable for the TQ) especially on Grundig tuning modules with thro' components (not tuners) was to apply my HOT iron to one side, and let it bubble madly until there was a "burst, but not filled up again" bubble event. I then turned the board over, ensured a good joint with a little fresh solder, then back to the first side. Here I would apply JUST ENOUGH solder to ONE SIDE ONLY of the resistor or whatever. Do not resolder the full circle. Guaranteed never to fail again. I once started work at a place where they had loads of such modules (teletext if I remember). Not ITT, but obviously ITT design and chips. The top engineer had found that he could resolder them on Frioday night, but by Monday morning, they were generally not working again. I suggested I could fix them, and quickly did three of them. After about a week with no problems, I was given about 20 more to fix, and a load of sets were sent on their way. (We used to repair customer returns for a warehouse style operation).
When I see that type of construction, if anything is wrong, I just blitz the board. Usually works.
Les.