View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2018, 1:59 am   #35
ct92404
Pentode

Default Re: Kellogg wall phones - need help

Success!
I connected the telephones together and I was able to transmit between them! I'm powering them with one C battery each.

Surprisingly, the phone with the older handset seems to have a much stronger transmitter. I had to coax the microphone and fiddle with it for a while, but once I brought it back to life, it sounded loud and clear on the other phone.

The wiring on the phone with the modified handset is pretty bad. It works now, but I think I'm going to have to rewire it at some point for a permanent fix. The original wiring is getting brittle and is kind of messy. 3 wires had broken and I had to patch them back together with solder. Actually, I might have to rewire both telephones at some point. The way they ran the wiring harness over the edge of the cabinet to the door puts strain on the wires and I think eventually they're all going to start breaking, especially since they're solid conductor and kink easily. I don't really want to replace the original wiring, but I might have to eventually. Maybe if I can find some cloth covered stranded wire that looks authentic.

But at least for now, the telephones seem to be working pretty good and it's fun playing around with them.