View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2021, 10:50 am   #23
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Grundig TK 14 Check Out

Refitted the re-assembled keys assembly into the unit but still struggling to get FFD latching working consistently despite trying all sorts of ideas. Basically it appears to latch but almost immediately unlatches, with everything assembled impossible to see the FFD key latching.

During refitting, compared various bits to my TK 23 & spotted a couple of small differences so located my other TK 14 for comparison. As I previously thought this other TK 14 does have a latching Pause mechanism. It has the same light blue colour scheme with the red dots on 2 of the keys, its serial number is 89199 so a lot later than the other TK 14.

Interestingly this other TK 14 has 2 additional changeover switches mounted in bottom left & right front corners which are actuated by levers mounted off the RWD & FFD keys, (as shown in first 2 photos) must try and work out later what these extra switches do.

To see the FFD latching I removed the Start and Stop keys on both TK 14's, can see no real difference. The bad TK 14 latch plate may be slightly weaker in terms of spring tension.

The metal underside of the Stop key basically sits on top of/makes contact with the latching plate and when the FFD key is pressed down, a slight movement of the Stop key may be having a hair trigger effect so trips the latch as soon as it is made. If nothing else found may try filing down the underside of the Stop key so that it does not make contact with the latch plate (Until the Stop key is pressed down of course).

Will also try swapping a few piece parts like the Stop key and various springs between the 2 units to see if fault can be swapped over. Tempted to swap over the complete key assemblies to prove that the issue is specific to the key assembly but not keen to do this as a lot of work to get assembly out in the other TK 14. Photos 3 and 4 show the FFD key latching comparison between the 2 machines.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Additional FFD switch.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	232479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Additional rewind switch.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	232480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bad TK 14 FFD Latching.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	232481   Click image for larger version

Name:	Good TK 14 FFD Latching.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	232482  

Last edited by DMcMahon; 24th Apr 2021 at 10:55 am.