View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2021, 5:09 pm   #1
ORAWA01
Hexode

Default Spectrum Comms. Active Antenna problem

Hi All

This active antenna has been set up in the garden the other day. When it is all connected and powered up, the reception on my radio is full of MW overloading everywhere. From MW to SW, it is just full of MW overloading.

When power is off, it goes quiet, which means the RF amp is working?

I have another active antenna PA0RDT copy from China, and that one works perfect. No problems.

This spectrum comms active antenna had been also marketed as NASA or Gareth before, I think. I took it apart the element, and it has a PCB with conventional parts, 2x transistors, capacitors and resistors all pretty well accessible.

But without any documentation or circuit diagram, I am not sure where to start trouble shooting the problem. I got it months ago used one from eBay, and left it in the cupboard for months without even checking it worked. It obviously is faulty somewhere, looks like.

But from the symptoms = power on and immediate overloading with MW signals every where? What could it be?

I was going to power on again, and measure voltages on the transistors, 2 of them, if they have any voltages?

Any ideas? Thanks 73s