Thread: End of an era.
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2018, 10:10 pm   #119
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: End of an era.

Lovely story. In another age and in different circumstances, many of us could have happily become an Uncle William. It is amazing how the diagnosis and repair of faults in electronic equipment can be so satisfying and enjoyable that so many of us choose to do it as our hobby, for free. Pity that there are so many cheapskates willing to exploit the kindness of people like Uncle William.

Those of you still active in "the trade" can probably exercise a lot of discretion and be selective about what you take on. A good friend of mine is still in the trade, and he tells me he hates much of the equipment brought to him for repair, but he can afford to choose wisely and only tackles jobs that his long experience suggests will be potentially profitable. There's little point in being a busy fool. I guess that in most geographical areas there are so few remaining repairers that there is little competition, and if there are other local businesses capable of tackling this sort of work, they are all going to be of a similar mind.

Thinking somewhat philosophically, we've somehow got to the stage where incredible electronic technology is all around us and used by everyone, yet the general public still seem to look down their noses at anyone with the skill and knowledge to repair it, and resent paying for said expertise. Perhaps the constant reduction in the price we pay for technology, in real terms, has led to repair costs - which are linked to wage rates, not manufacturing costs - being out of proportion to the perceived value of the equipment.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 11th Mar 2018 at 10:14 pm. Reason: English