View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2017, 7:51 pm   #5
nageeb_
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: My Sanyo VTC-R4ME Multi-System Betacord

The issue I'm having seems to be related to power (thankfully). When I plug it in, nothing happens. My main PSU seems to be ok (surprisingly) and has a connector which outputs 2x 12v/0v lines and a 23VAC line to a secondary regulator board (PS2 in the photo above). That board then has headers that go to the various modules for tuner control, modulation, front panel, motor etc. The PS2 board has 2 test points for 9V and 12V and I've found that my 9V power is dead. Without a service manual or circuit diagram, I'm left to simply work backwards from there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanbeta View Post
I have found on the hundreds of Sanyo's I've repaired and refurbed that usually high ESR caps is the most common issue after long periods powered up. This is mainly in the clock vacuum flurescent display area of the PSU.
I would check over all the caps and it should alleviate any issues with that area anyways.
I've tried replacing the usual suspects, recapped the entire PS2 board and replaced a 9v regulator and a motor driver transistor but that didn't fix anything. I'm now working my way back along the 9v line and checking the diodes and resistors as I go. At this rate, it's entirely possible that I'll end up just rebuilding the entire board with new components .

I've found 2 sites which claim to have the manuals and circuit diagrams for the VTC-R4ME but neither of them can give me any assurances as to the quality of the documentation, and for $100USD I'm not willing to risk it at this point.