View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2012, 5:46 pm   #124
Andrew2
Nonode

Default Re: Crystal Palace DSO is looming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pichacker View Post
Graham,

As I look out the window I feel that something I cannot see is missing forever....

A bit off topic but my girlfriend said to me last night "You know I love you, but you are weired sometimes!!"

Steve.
Strange, isn't it? Here in Winter Hill land, we lost our analogue a couple of years ago and of course I stayed up to bid a fond farewell to the signals as they were turned off one by one.
I was quite upset when I finally got to bed.
When you have spent all your working life with first of all monochrome analogue followed by the wonderful analogue PAL colour system, it is a wrench to suddenly realise it's gone forever.
PAL in particular was a work of art, as was NTSC from which it was developed. All those bits and bobs to keep it sync'd up and behaving itself - the burst gates, the PLL'd s/c osc, the synchronous demods. The clever interleaving of the Luma and the chroma, the careful choice of frequencies and offsets, all to squeeze the best possible results out of the available technology.
That was my life, that was....
And just look at what passes for a 'good picture' on Freeview! No fine detail to speak of, edge enhancement to give it the illusion of sharpness, odd-looking faces with spots and stubble that seem to move independently...