View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2010, 5:23 pm   #86
Focus Diode
Octode

Default Re: Favourite Colour tv's

A very tough thread to reply to as reliability has to be taken into consideration!

Certainly the original dual standard G6 is capable of superb results. I restored my own in the '90s from scrap to first class working order. The pictures were absolutely superb. The sound however was poor on UHF, plenty of bass but no treble with constant hum in the background I could never rectify. VHF 405 was very good however.

The problem was I was afraid to use it often incase the LOPT packed in!

The GEC 2028 is less fearsome and are capable of giving pictures as good as a G6, if one ignores the inferior EHT regulation, (1st hybrid set to employ a fully solid state EHT facility). If quality and reliability were considered this would be at the top of my fave CTV.

The ITT CVC5s are wonderful sets. Just a shame the tuners are so awful.

There's been comments that later CRTs were not as good as the older delta gun models. While I agree with this in many cases I was surprised at the excellent picture quality obtained on a 1998 Goodmans 285 NS (Daewoo) 28" model with a Philips CRT, its as if they succeeded in manufacturing the ultimate in-line tube that gives results as good as a decent delta gun one.

I have one of these sets with its original Philips tube which is still good as new.

Brian