View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2023, 1:49 pm   #12
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Isolator Transformer Query

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonpiemon View Post
What's slightly odd I've noticed it doesn't seem to make any difference to the needle on the avo when I switch it from 1k through 600, 300 etc it is consistently reading around 20vac. When I measure the voltage across both live pins however it measures normal?
That's a very good sign.

Remember, an analogue meter measures current. The meter coil, which moves from 0 to full-scale depending on the current through it, has a low resistance. When measuring voltage, a much higher resistance, called the multiplier, is connected in series with it; and essentially, all the voltage is being dropped across the multiplier, so Ohm's Law on the multiplier resistance converts the current reading to a voltage, and increasing the resistance increases the voltage required to move the needle to full-scale.

So if changing the series resistance does not affect the meter needle, then what you are measuring is effectively a constant-current source; and whatever leakage path exists is only capable of delivering a limited amount of energy.