View Single Post
Old 13th Jun 2022, 8:35 pm   #84
ajgriff
Nonode

Default Re: Just got myself a commodore pet setup but not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
I appreciated your work in summarising the places to measure from on the topside but I think access to those points with a scope probe with the PCB in situ would be very difficult with the tube and scan coils overhanging, you really would have to undo the board and slide it out and maybe fix it to the rear posts through the front holes to stop it from wandering off. That's not something I would have been comfortable asking Pud to try at this stage.

I certainly wouldn’t advocate anyone probing around on the top side of the board because of the risks you’ve highlighted. My suggestion was to use a test clip/hook attached to the test point with the machine powered off in order to avoid going near the monitor when live. It’s usually possible to attach the kind of clip I’m thinking of to a convenient component leg without creating a short.

My problem with taking measurements from the track side is still the size of the case apertures. With my 9” monitor the hole in the bottom of monitor’s case only allows access to about half the PCB. I’ve struggled to find images of a dismantled 12” monitor but did stumble across this video:

It’s not too long and it’s only the last half that is directly relevant. If pudwink’s monitor is the same there’s a cross shaped section dividing the bottom aperture in to four. From what I can tell this section makes a significant part of the PCB inaccessible. The only way I can see around this is to lay the monitor on its side on top of the main case having removed the four fixing nuts. Even then everything would depend on the wiring still reaching the PCB without the need for extensions.

Alan