View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2020, 11:04 pm   #21
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: GU10 Halogen Removal & Replacement

I suppose this is literally consistent wth the thread title, as it relates to GU10 halogen removal and replacement! My cousin rents out his daughter's house, currently working abroad long-term. He has a British Gas gas and electrics maintenance contract (with which he is very pleased), and I happened to be round there when he was decorating it in readiness for a new tenant, when the BG guy came round to do his annual safety check and replace some failed GU10 downlighter lamps. He couldn't do the downstairs ones as the fittings were right next to the joists (fire risk), ditto the upstairs bedroom ones as they were completely surrounded by loft insulation: the originally white plastic choc block connectors had been well and truly cooked and were yellow and crumbling. As I happened to have a downlighter circular saw set, I moved the downstairs ones, but, given that fire rated fittings with hoods were around £20 each, with the BG guy's approval, I replaced the four upstairs downlighters by a single BC pendant costing all of £2.50. It was only a small bedroom.

Last edited by emeritus; 25th Jun 2020 at 11:18 pm. Reason: Typos