Thread: ISB Receivers
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2014, 7:25 am   #13
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: ISB Receivers

Have you tried asking the ex-Quartz Hill people what they used?

I think the world service technique received broadcast full carrier DSB AM on one site and fed a transmitter site miles away. If ISB receivers were used, it would have been for sideband diversity reception, not for different material on each sideband.

I gather all the radio masts got demolished to make way for wind mills in the past few years which seems a shame. A radio society had the use of the place for a while. Our local club had the use of 'Outhmuir' a moor-top HF site used by the RAF as the Eastern receiving end of a group of transatlantic links. It had large wire arrays from lots of masts and a small building stuffed with RA17 racks once upon a time. We got it for an affordable rent but only the mast foundations were left along with the empty buildings. Still we got some aerials up and it was a fabulous site for us for 15 years, then a political sort of change brought in agents who thought it was usable as a vhf site and cellphone site and ought to have a commercial rent to suit. The rent multiplied dramatically, the club disbanded. There is a good hilltop VHF site just across the road with 360 degree coverage and all mod cons, so outh was not marketable. I last went past a couple of years ago. It's all derelict, the buildings vandalised. They never got another penny in rent from anyone.

THis site had antenna and frequency diversity, but all the signals were FSK teleprinter traffic, encrypted, for offsite decryption. So there was no ISB or sideband diversity.

Oh, yes, the RAF people drank rainwater collected from the roof. The only water treatment was a storage tank, a kettle and a teapot!

David