View Single Post
Old 10th May 2020, 5:11 pm   #84
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Default Re: Fixing a GEC BT 330 Television

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Just a query. I cannot trace a GEC with the model number 330. Are you getting this confused with your Murphy V330? I have, or I thought I had all the GEC A5 size service manuals but the last manual is number 210 that covers the BT328 and BT329. The next manual covers the 19" and 23" BT336 series. I presume your sound amp/output valve is a PCL82. The circuits are all similar but the component numbers probably differ. John.
It may be difficult to be sure of the model number, as GEC used a small label (with the model number printed on it) stuck on the back cover - usually near the bottom. This will, more often than not, have fallen off at this stage in the set's life.

One way to tell is by looking at the EHT rectifier valve. In the first range of models (from BT302), it was a wired-in type (GEC's version of a Mazda U25), whereas in the later production models (starting at BT318 and using the same basic chassis), it is a 9-pin plug in valve (GEC's version of a Mazda U26), with a top cap.

If my memory is correct, later sets also used a 9-pin valve as the efficiency diode, rather than a (Mazda?) Octal 8-pin type.

I'm pretty sure I have all the GEC service manuals for the models of this range and they stopped at BT329. The next range (the last actually designed by GEC in Coventry) was from BT336 to BT342. These had either 19" or 23" squarer faceplate CRTs, whereas the BT302 to BT329 sets used 17" or 21" CRTs.

Last edited by dazzlevision; 10th May 2020 at 5:16 pm.