View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2020, 8:00 pm   #10
Rhgbristol
Triode

Default Re: Very Old (Immersion Heater?) Switch

I recall New Day wiring accessories as a child in the 1970s - I name I have not been able to find much on since.

I had an aunt that had a house that would have been built in 1956/1957 in Kingswood, here in Bristol, which had brown Bakelite plaster depth lightswitches. There were one and two gang ones, and single 13A sockets that matched.

The plateswitches if I recall had a fairly flat front, slightly radius corners and dolly / tumbler switches. The dolly mechanism was fairly flat, and tapered to a straight front edge.

How I recall the name, was at some point, she redecorated the kitchen, and wanted a 'modern white switch' fitted, which I was able to do.

The fixing centres and switch dimensions, of the old 1950s switch matched exactly the modern 1970s switch we fitted.

I have never come across these wiring accessories since, despite much of the last 40 years working in the electrical industry!

The nearest I came up with a few years back, was a switch of similar vintage, made by a company called Lundberg. The Lundberg switch however, although ivory in colour, was not a 'plateswitch' as such, but had the detachable front cover revealing the switch mechanism that was fitted to a flush rear wooden backbox.
It was certainly not a plaster depth switch - where as the New Day switch definitely was.

In terms of the New Day switches, I would imagine, that the switches were probably kept by a local wholesaler, who supplied the electrical contractor that would have wired the estate.

Just like the present day, wholesalers I guess even then would have tended to chop and change their suppliers of wiring accessories, to keep offering competitively-priced ranges. As others have said above, a few years later the name disappeared.

Last edited by Rhgbristol; 13th Apr 2020 at 8:07 pm.