View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2017, 3:16 pm   #46
Martin Bush
Octode

Default Re: A poor old HMV at the Recycling Centre...

I’ve read all the contributions on this thread (some may have read that I chipped in earlier) and have also done some research and there should be a simple solution to this.

It does depend on the particular waste authority (usually county council) but on the whole I am told most would be open to helping save historic items from oblivion. There are examples of this on the forum (Aidan for instance) and also ones I have been told about today in person. As I said, while I am not a time-served engineer or have the skills of many on this forum, I do have a background that sometimes helps with things like this.

If you see something that you think is worth saving start by speaking to the site operative. If they can’t help then see if they can give you a contact number of someone to speak to. Failing that, get on to the county council. You will need to act quickly of course.

However this would only save items that you happen to spot while you are there.

I still think that there is value in a more proactive approach which would involve an organisation of some sort - could be BVWS or could even be this forum - making contact with the various councils and making a simple request that if certain items come up that they are contacted. This is something that already happens in some areas in respect of certain types of items.

If anyone is interested in developing this idea please send me a direct message. Otherwise we will continue to be in the same position with a few members being successful in saving an item here and there and periodically debating the same things.