View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2017, 11:21 pm   #33
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: Interconnecting old telephones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by philthespark View Post
Apologies for dragging up an old thread here, <snip> When I pointed this out to him his attitude was "well who uses the old gear anyway"
Some people have no appreciation of the older stuff, at least with the older wired phones you could still make a call in a power cut. Thankfully there are still a few of us who appreciate the older technology.
My oldest Strowger system dates from 1929 and served a village in Northumberland until 1950. Still works OK. I hope eventual to get a couple of selectors from the auto exchange at Epsom installed in 1912 going. Just managed to track some banks that I hope will work with them? My oldest systems are small magneto exchanges - a 5 line single cord one and a 20 and 40 line wall mounted double cord ones - all from the 1890s ex-National Telephone Company which was nationalised on 1s Jan 1912 to become part of the GPO.
And we still use some of our old phones on our replica of the old GPO network as it was in the early days of STD. Great to hear the old GPO Speaking Clock on 8081 or 'Dial a Disc' by dialling 16 (pre the iPlayer !!)
Happy days.

Ian
CNet 0352 2345