View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2011, 9:12 pm   #152
Colourstar
Octode

Default Re: Vintage Christmas Tree lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Woolworths used to sell a string of 12 light holders and flex minus the lamps. You could choose your lamps from a very large selection that included babies, lanterns, stars, father Christmas, reindeer and so on.
What a lovely idea John. I didn't know that Woolies' 'pick'n'mix' extended beyond the sweet counter!

Our set of 12 Pifco Elfinlites (vintage 1962 and due to be brought down from the loft this weekend for festive duties) acquired a few replacement bulbs in the late 70s including a couple of oddball ones: These were the classic cone shape but covered in coarse frosting, as though they had been dipped in the sugar bowl. Quite unusual.

If you ever visit a 'proper' small hardware shop, it's always worth asking if, by any chance, they still have any replacement bulbs for sets of 12 lights. Last year I found a shop near me with almost a full card with about 15 packets of 3 replacement lamps. I was offered the whole lot at a discounted price, as no one else was buying them.

With most new lamp sets being full of LEDs (I hate those white ones that look almost grey), the bulb replacement market must be about dead.

I'm preaching to the converted here, but as the previous photos show, an old set of 12 vintage lights still manages to look far more Christmassy than 200 flashing LEDs.

Steve J