View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2018, 10:58 am   #34
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Changing the BVWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0FYA Andy View Post
If 'British Vintage Wireless Society' sounds long-winded and stuffy, then I'm afraid 'Vintage Radio Club' sounds down-market and no more than a group of friends having a get-together at their local!
I'd have to agree, and can't see anything to be gained by changing the name at all. Or, for that matter, by changing the Bulletin. Any good pamphlet or book on the rudiments of servicing and/or restoration can only help, likewise using video if that's a more accessible medium to many: but devoting much of a quarterly periodical to basic matters would soon become repetitive, and redundant to most of its readers. I would rather the Bulletin continues to document the wonderfully various heritage of stuff that's out there, while it's still out there, and the ingenuity and dedication required sometimes to restore it to life or comeliness.

How much of what we do will still be done, how many of our artifacts valued, twenty, forty, sixty years hence, I'll not hazard a guess: as Yogi Berra said, it's tough to make predictions, especially about the future. What I can't much doubt is that wider social forces than we can hope to direct will be the main determinant. Microgroove records, for instance, haven't made the limited comeback that they have through any particular stroke of marketing genius, but because there's something about them - there are various things about them - that, once they'd largely gone, quite a few people realised they were missing. Even people who hadn't been around when "vinyl" was dominant. Nostalgia is only one way in which the bug for vintage items and left-behind technologies can be caught.

Paul