View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2019, 3:14 pm   #28
davidgem1406
Heptode

Default Re: Unknown Home Built TRF radio

I have now completed the refurbishing of the chassis and it is now working on both wavebands.

The gain pot (mentioned earlier in this posting thread #27) I have replaced with a standard pot with a DP switch, as I was hoping could be done. The pot itself works fine as it has no problem handling whatever current flows in that part of the circuit.

I do however have 2 problems to solve.
Firstly with the gain pot as this goes from zero gain up to full gain on about the last ΒΌ of the track, that makes it very touchy to control the output volume, which is quite substantial on a strong station.
I have tried 2 values, first I used 47K, that was so touchy it was difficult to control as all action took place nearly at the end of the track. I now have a 25K, that is a little better, but still to touchy.
I also found that the HT feed to V1 and V2 goes up and down quite significantly with the gain pot.
Is there any way to better this and spread the gain over a larger portion of the track? Or do I need to further reduce the value of the pot?

The second problem is that we have distortion that I can only describe as like a dog growling behind the stations. It is more prominent on music than on speech, and is there from low to high levels of audio. At zero gain there is total silence.
As, yet I have not tried to investigate this so any ideas would be helpful.

There are just 2 preset capacitors available for alignment, such as it might be, these are C2 and C4 (The circuit diagram is attached).
This is my first meeting with a TRF radio, so I guess that both trimmers are set for maximum output at some frequency at either one end of the scale, or midpoint.
Could someone direct me as to where these adjustments should take place?

I have attached the circuit diagram and valve voltages in pdf format, and 3 pictures of the refurbished chassis.

Thanks,
Regards Dave.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT002.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	191760   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT003.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	191761   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT004.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	191762  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Circuit Diagram.pdf (40.9 KB, 115 views)
File Type: pdf Voltages.pdf (37.1 KB, 91 views)