View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2019, 1:07 am   #10
hamid_1
Heptode

Default Re: Sinclair Spectrum considerations

If you're nostalgic about your original Spectrum +2, then go for another one of the same. But don't bother trying to load software from tape - get a DivMMC interface. I have one of these and highly recommend it:
https://www.thefuturewas8bit.com/sho...mmcfuture.html

There are cheaper versions, they usually come as a bare circuit board without a joystick interface. This is less of a problem with the +2 which has a built-in joystick port, albeit a non-standard one. You either need a Sinclair / Amstrad compatible joystick or an adaptor to use with the +2 's built-in port. The above DivMMC interface has a standard Atari / Commodore joystick port, which gives you a wide range of sticks to choose from.

I recently got back into the vintage Sinclair Spectrum. My original machine was a rubber key 48k Issue 4S (made under licence by Samsung in Korea). Sadly this was lost in 2007 following a nasty car accident. It was in the back of my car at the time. I ended up in hospital with a broken nose. Meanwhile the police towed away my wrecked car and disposed of it, with the Spectrum inside.
Then a couple of years ago, I acquired the exact same issue 4S Spectrum from the legendary Mikey405 vintage telly swap meet. It didn't work - faulty RAM - but I got it fixed. I still had the ZX interface 1 and Microdrive from my original Spectrum but the microdrive no longer seemed to work. The new DivMMC interface seemed like a much better proposition than messing around with 35 years old tape drives. It totally transformed the Spectrum experience with instant loading.

You can of course run Spectrum software on an emulator. Emulators for various systems can be downloaded free, along with lots of old Spectrum games. It's worth trying this first before spending any money on vintage kit. If you don't have a PC (presumably you're using a smartphone or tablet to access this forum) then you can get an old desktop or laptop PC for practically nothing. Almost anything will do. Back in 1993 I had a Spectrum emulator running on the Commodore Amiga computer. It worked surprisingly well. I was even able to load cassettes using a Stereomaster sound sampler device, then save them to floppy disk. I subsequently burned the files to CD-R 20 years ago and now transferred them to SD card to play in a real Spectrum with DivMMC interface, so things have gone full circle!