Thread: Nikola Tesla
View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2017, 11:14 am   #25
Voxophone
Hexode

Default Re: Nikola Tesla

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
I'd always thought that Tesla's aim was to utilise the planet's natural resonant frequency which has much higher current prospects and even in my ignorance, seems to make sense. Anyone can light up a flourescent tube! Soldiers in step over a bridge can destroy it and this factor is a also basic aspect of AC electrical distribution [I think]. If you get down to 8 or 9 cycles the human body is at risk of being micro-waved to death!
This was my understanding too. Although the details are pretty vague, I think that with the Wardenclyffe project he was trying to transmit power through the upper atmosphere by establishing some sort of low frequency resonance.

The Wardenclyffe tower itself had foundations almost as deep as the tower was high. According to Tesla, this was to give it the necessary grip so that the ‘whole Earth could shake’.

It happens that biological systems are also very sensitive (or resonant) at these low frequencies. Early astronauts supposedly suffered whilst in orbit because the earth’s natural resonant frequency (about 7 or 8 Hz) was no longer present, and apparently this is necessary for the human body to operate. Later they added resonators to the spacecraft which solved the problem.

In power distribution there are standard ‘flicker curves’ used to establish acceptable limits of light flicker due to mains voltage disturbances. The curves were developed years ago based on (presumably quite uncomfortable) experiments exposing people to flicker at various frequencies. The frequency causing most discomfort is around 8.8 Hz, which approaches epilepsy.

I’ve heard it suggested that Tesla may have pulled the plug on the project himself because of the dangers of these types of frequencies, but I suppose we’ll never know for sure.