View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2018, 8:42 pm   #20
Slothie
Octode

Default Re: MK14 schematic revisions

Well I can try out several different ideas because the minimum order on the PCBs was 5 (which I was pleased to find cost just over £18 inc shipping from JLCPCB, I think I got first order discount on shipping). I've only got 1 SC/MP and set of PROMS but I can (carefully!) swap the components from board if I'm experimenting. I was looking at "proper" keyswitches but couldn't find any (in an admittedly brief search) that looked nice enough to warrant the extra cost. Another option would be to "recycle" an old cash register or similar, but finding one with separate keyswitches or a 5x4 block would be a challenge as would relabelling them.... In the first instance I'll try the tact switches since I have them, they have clear plastic covers I can slip a printed label under, and I'll be impatient to test it!
Since I didn't have an original pcb to measure, I ended up measuring from photo's and using the IC pins for scale, so its probable that any "off the shelf" overlays etc wont quite fit.. although that doesnt rule that out should I make a second version of the pcb!!