View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2017, 2:22 pm   #31
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: Workshop: LED replacements for flourescent tubes.

I too am still a fan of fluorescent tubes. We went LED on the boat for energy consumption reasons, when you are off grid and 12v they make sense.
There are still four 16w 2D fittings which I have loaded with extra LEDs and another switch so we have the best of both worlds.
Last week one of them failed, they start to flash off and run hot when duff. I fitted one of our few remaining spare GE tubes. The old one was dated 13/7/06 ( I date them when fitted, anal I know) so we had our moneys worth out of that one!
Our flats are mostly LED to get the energy ratings up. I found early on that the higher rated GU10 ones fail early due to the heat in the fitting, 9W or less are better, 3W last for ever it seems. I buy the cheapest on ebay from a guy in China with whom I have dealt for years, his service is good, on the whole the products are fine, he exchanges any duff items without question and sends me extras whenever I send him stuff back to his England contact as well as paying postage.No complaints.
The farm was all Son outside lamps which have been replaced to great advantage with LED corn cobs, significant energy saving as they have to be on 24/7 for the cattle.
The fluorescent fittings are still tubed as they are mostly waterproof fittings, some in the house have 6' LED tubes in, the early ones were terrible, later seem to be OK.
Workshop, barn, yards and stores floods have all gone over to LED because the quartz halogen tubes were expensive to run and short lived, there is also a reduced fire risk.

Last edited by Boater Sam; 19th Nov 2017 at 2:28 pm. Reason: spelling