View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2020, 10:07 am   #164
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: Which was the worst TV set / chassis you had to repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlevision View Post
I think the basic problem with UK designed and made sets was using the cheapest possible components.

Thorn EMI Ferguson, but they were too late in making the change (TX9, 10, 90 & 100) and were sold to Thomson in 1987. That didn't end well either, did it? Even Philips had to throw in the towel - eventually.
No, it didn't! luckily I had given up with Ferguson before the French cr4p was produced ! I wonder why the ICC5 etc was so unreliable? The common faults list ran into pages and pages... Yes there was the odd one that went for thirty years without a fault I'm sure but the majority were pretty poor compared to other makes. There were of course engineers that liked them and could fix them so that they never went wrong again but I preferred well made sets that were built properly designed properly and gave good service we were after all in business to make a profit and keep customers happy!
How many times would a badly made set fail a few months after repair for an completely unconnected fault to the original repair? Then you had the choice of trying to convince the customer it was a different fault or repair it again at your cost... "It was all right until you repaired it last" !
I hated the Bl**dy Thompson things and took great delight in dispatching them into the skip!
I sold up and moved into running a car service garage in 2000 so I missed the Painter chip fiasco and the widescreen tubes that failed prematurely. People are much more understanding with cars, if you repair the screen-washers and three months later they get a puncture they don't expect a free repair!