View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2020, 5:49 pm   #38
Station X

Default Re: Hallicrafters Skyrider Defiant SX24 Receiver

I removed all the modifications from the output stage, ie four capacitors, two resistors and a tag strip. What the mods were intended to do I have no idea and I'll never know now.

I then then rebuilt the output stage to the original spec, but at present there's no output transformer, that's in the pipeline along with a high impedance speaker. Having rebuilt the output stage I went round all the tags on the 6F6 valve holder accounting for every component and wire on every pin. ie type, value, where it goes to and where it comes from. I didn't find any faults, which should make things easier at the testing stage.

All the waxies were then replaced along with any out of spec resistors connected to the same tags. I found missing capacitors, capacitors which shouldn't be there, documentation errors and wiring errors, all of which were corrected. I'll document the various errors later to assist any future restorers of these sets.

I removed some tape bombs and created some new temporary ones of my own to prevent snipped leads shorting to all and sundry.

The resistance across the HT supply rails was then checked, the reading settled down at 35 kohms which is the resistance of the potential divider used to derive the screen grid supply. With all valves removed an external PSU was used to supply 350V of HT and the current settled down at 13mA. 10mA of this was going into the potential divider and 3mA leakage through the smoothers seems reasonable.

Next step will be to check out the resistors followed by the S Meter wiring. There's a long way to go yet, but i feel I've reached a significant milestone in the repair process.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1059.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	212995  

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.