Thread: End of an era.
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2018, 4:47 pm   #79
Station X

Default Re: End of an era.

Stuff should me made so that it doesn't need preventative maintenance or repair. Obviously this has to be coupled with a finite life time. As far as I can see this is now about two years for electronic equipment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulliver View Post
In many ways we live in times where most things are disposable. If you look at the price of a TV even 20 years ago, and adjust for inflation....you can see why people repaired them then. Going back further, costs were proportionately higher.

Today TVs cost proportionately less in general, and there are often tangible differences/improvements every year or two. A TV bought in 1975 was perfectly capable of doing everything needed of it in 1985 or even 1995, assuming one didn't want NICAM. Who runs a flat screen 10 years old? Well....I do...but it's really in need of replacement.

Sadly devices become obsolete quickly and are expensive to repair compared to buying new. The younger generation (I cannot believe I typed that!) don't understand why a cassette deck won't work after 10 years in the attic and a year on the shelf of a charity shop....nor why it will cost £100 to bring it back to life even if they can find someone to service it.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.