Thread: Akai gx365
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2018, 3:59 am   #15
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: Akai gx365

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsbhachu3d View Post
The recording at 7 and a half is stunning. Bass response is good on all 3 speeds. however one last thing to make this deck 100% is the high end at 3.75 dies off MUCH earlier than my 4000D. You can tell from the stressed 'S' ess sound where it is not there on any of my other 4 decks recording at 3.75. It plays other tapes recorded at 3.75 perfectly without the stressed high end. Or do GX heads just have a worse signal ratio compared to perma alloy heads at lower speeds?
Hard to be sure. It might depend on the condition of the GX heads. Ferrite heads were designed for very long life but could have a problem called "crystal pullout" where tiny pieces of ferrite at the edges of the head gap fell out, messing up the clean, narrow head gap. Look at the heads under a strong magnifier in a good light, especially the gap areas.

Of course it also depends on the tape type used. Older tapes will struggle with the highs especially at the slower 3.75ips. The slower the tape speed, the more everything has to be carefully optimised. The treble is the first thing to go.

Best take it methodically one step at a time, referencing the machine's playback response to your other machines - or preferably via a calibration tape. I tested a GX machine I have with a fresh calibration tape and its playback response drooped in the highs, whereas my Revox machines' playback responses were very close to the standard. Ferrite type heads can be a mixed blessing.

As James says it could be the bias. The machine could be overbiased for the tape you are using.