View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2017, 3:31 pm   #30
llama
Octode

Default Re: 16:9 to 4:3 Converter?

I think I've completed my tests and really what I need is a 16:9 to 4:3 converter!

I'd like to be able to feed the BT box into the projector so on the odd occasion I want to rent a film I have the option of viewing it on the projector. Whether the HDMI lead is plugged in or not, the only picture format setting I can find just has "unsupported format" which I take it to mean no format changes are possible. I've tried recording from the yellow phono socket and I just get tall people. Playing the recorded DVD on a Sony player gives tall people for all video settings whether I choose 16:9, 4:3 letterbox or 4:3 pan-and-scan. Doesn't seem right but nothing seems to affect it.

A hardware device would do the conversion I'm sure. In my case I'd be happy with the sides cut off so a pair of line stores could be used to store the incoming line then immediately read out the middle section so as to fill the available 58uS with those pixels. Two line-stores would be needed so one can be filling as the other empties. I think creating a letterbox within the 4:3 would require a framestore.

I wonder if I could get a "stretch" lens to go in front of the projector lens...
Graham