View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2012, 6:30 pm   #75
GP49000
Hexode

Default Re: Garrard record player deck identification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs_derby View Post
Would that Matsushita motor happen to be from the same family as the one that powered the legendary Technics SL1200?
Yes. Matsushita derived an entire series of direct drive motors from the one in the SL1200. It was used in many of their own decks and supplied to other manufacturers, including Garrard. They won't interchange but the "guts" are the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs_derby View Post
The shape of the pressing in photo 6 (first image in post above) seems to hint at the possibility of a cheaper, belt-driven variant.
Not that I'm aware of. The shape of the pressing backs this up: Garrard always put the motor as far from the tonearm as would be practical, and the pressing is the wrong shape for that. I'll have to open up my DD75 to find out why it is shaped that way; this is one model for which I don't have a photo of the underside. Subsequent Garrard direct-drive models, which do have belt-driven counterparts, do not resemble the DD75 in any way whatsoever.

Another "first" for the DD75 among Garrards: it was the first to have its plinth sprung on the underlying shelf or cabinetwork on which it sat, instead of having a chassis sprung on the plinth. This was obviously the only way a suspension could be incorporated and it was repeated on some, but not all later models.

Last edited by GP49000; 6th Dec 2012 at 6:39 pm.