View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2019, 9:30 pm   #28
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: The lightbulb conspiracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Must admit Dave I have never heard the term 'Supercoil' but I'm surprised it was not taken up by a leading lamp maker. The 15 and 25w lamps were always single coil, often a long filament strung between spider supports.
They were delicate. The best ones were manufactured for the hood lamp on the Hoover vacuum cleaners. They were very rough service! J.
I wonder if "Rough service" for lightbulbs was ever quantified into a formal specification, of G-forces and numbers-of-applications-before-failure?

The cooking-compartment bulb in my Sharp microwave has had a history of repeated failure - I'm thinking that the shocks from 20 or 30 door-shuttings per day can't have helped. For the last half-decade I've given up replacing the bulb because extracting the oven from its built-in-kitchen home, removing the case, swapping the bulb, reassembling and refiting it into its home is just too much faff.

Thought: given that a typical microwave-oven is slinging 800-1000 Watts of microwave-energy around, a clued-up designer could surely produce a cooking-compartment-illuminator using a 1/2-wave dipole and a bunch of neons or LEDs across the feedpoint to provide the necessary "Cooking-in-progress" reassuring glow?