View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2021, 4:27 pm   #1630
ortek_service
Octode

Default Re: Non-working Commodore PET 3016

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie_m View Post
The numeric pad provides the only way to type numbers on a PET.
Thanks - It's been a while since I used one / looked at my Chicklet one, and looks like the PET is very unusual in not having the numbers on the keypad, needing to actually use the keypad, with not just using shift on the numbers to get the (non-graphics) symbols on the keys.

However, I've just seen on the latest Keyboard repair video posted here, that they show a PET 2001(N?) with a full-size Keyboard+Keypad that does also have the numbers on the top row of the Keyboard!
So it seems there are even more variations on these keyboards (not just matrix wiring) and I presume there must be country-specific Edit? ROM's that deal with how the top row of the particular keyboard is handled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishColin View Post
Yep - the new IC fixed the keyboard woes. I then found a broken track but managed to solder a wire across the gap and covered it with clear nail varnish to secure it. All the keypads now work, but not all the keys themselves, I'll give them another clean with IPA - I had the whole keyboard apart and washed/cleaned every single component. The keyboard was (not surprisingly due to its age) a mess, but it's clean up nicely.

I followed this video - was very useful to me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkoVVbdky_o

As someone else said, without numbers, I can't type a program in. This Keyboard Fix is on the way https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for the info - Good to hear this did cure it (well the main fault at least).
It will be interesting to see how well that Keypad repair kit works - I've probably got some remote controls that might benefit from a dose, as keys aren't as good as new even after cleaning, so may be tempted to get one.
From their picture, It does look like you get rather a lot in that small tub! (Another listing said you got 10ml - enough for 400 contacts)
But there wasn't much in 2-part mix in the first repair video (where they'd put magnet on the PET case to show which was actually metal) I'd seen
- which isn't surprising when conductive silver paint has always been expensive for tiny vials of it. Although maybe that Keypad repair stuff is more like carbon / flexible, if rated for 2m presses?

Regarding PET case colour, I suppose virtually all original ones may have now gone a bit yellow with age / sunlight exposure. So maybe Radiator - White Matt? is a bit bright - but maybe not as bad as the hand painted gloss on some of these compared to the original possibly anodised / enamelled or powder coating (the best way of getting that Leatherette finish - Although I seem to recall you can get 'Crackle' (Hammerite?) spray paint for restoring the right look to cases.

Last edited by ortek_service; 14th Apr 2021 at 4:34 pm.