Thread: Bush TR82B
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2018, 8:58 am   #10
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: Bush TR82B

I'm a bit baffled by post #8

I wanted to find out if it was "safe" to coat entire PCB's with WD-40.

About 5 years ago I conducted an experiment with WD-40. I placed about 1/4 of a can of it in a jar and placed about 20 objects in it, all types of components found on PCB's different plastic coated capacitors, resistors, IC sockets and all the plastics I could find in my junk box and engineering materials, thermoplastics , Bakelite and others that I could not identify the chemistry of.

I left all this in the jar for a few days. Then I removed the objects and washed off the WD-40 with circuit board cleaner and looked at the surfaces of all the plastics with my binocular microscope. I could not find any evidence at all of any form of chemical attack or surface melting .

Though WD-40 will soften & melt sticker glue, it did nothing I could find to any resin cured or thermoplastics. Including polished acrylic, For example, WD-40 will clean sticker glue off polished acrylic and leave no damage to the polished surface.

I would guess that if WD-40 appeared to melt any plastic knob, the plastic must already have been disintegrating and turning to powder anyway.

Apart from sticker glue, does anybody know of a specific plastic type which is melted by WD-40 ?? I would like to know and conduct another experiment to verify it.