View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2018, 3:16 am   #1
ajgriff
Nonode

Default Fluke 70 Series LCD Blotch Dilemma

Bought a Fluke 75 multimeter at a boot sale last weekend. Came with original polystyrene box, instruction manual and safety test leads. The low price asked reflected the fact that the meter was dead and had a blotch in the middle of the LCD. I was happy to buy it just for the test leads and had no realistic expectations for the meter itself. To my surprise (utter amazement actually), after a few hours work the meter is now fully functional and operating, as far as I can tell, within spec.

The dilemma relates to the LCD blotch. Although it doesn't seriously impair usability, as the digit segments are still relatively visible under the blotch, I'd rather like to get rid of it if I can. Please see attached photo which was taken before any digits were available to view. The blotch is quite colourful and casts shadows on the surface below. It is an integral part of the upper layer and so doesn't wipe off.

I've never messed around with LCD panels like this before so have spent some time researching the possibilities and it does seem that the blemish might be confined to the polarising film stuck to the surface of the panel. For a couple of pounds I can acquire some suitable polarisng film which would give me enough material for some practice runs. The risk is that the damage may not be limited to the film layer and any attempts to affect a repair might turn the LCD to scrap.

Replacement LCDs cost more to import from the US than used meters generally sell for in the UK. Bearing in mind that the meter effectively came free with the test leads but is quite usable I can't make up mind whether or not to try to banish the blotch. Any thoughts, opinions, ideas or advice which might help me make a decision would be very much appreciated.

By the way, I currently use an AVO 8 MkV and a cheap far eastern DMM. The DMM is tolerable but the Fluke 75 would be a welcome upgrade.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blotch.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	167247  

Last edited by ajgriff; 9th Aug 2018 at 3:29 am.