View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2020, 11:22 pm   #9
regenfreak
Heptode

Default Re: Heathkit Q meter movement won't zero

Hi Peter
I managed to open it with little force by gently squeezing the sides with fingers and slide a mini screwdriver under the Perspex bezel.

I can confirm that the eccentric pin (2nd photo)was correctly centered inside the slot (1st photo)but it does not activate the movement when I turn the screw.

I can only center the movement by turning the slot all the way to the left (see 3rd photo) with the cover removed. It is not supposed in this position. Therefore, there is something wrong there. This is a temporary fix at the moment.

I can see the hairspring, there is no spider web or particle trapped inside. I blew the movement with my mouth and it swung all the way to the right. therefore it is not sticky movement or electrostatic charge on the bezel

Quote:
If the slot part is moving as it is supposed to, and you still can not center the pointer, at the bottom there is a similar bearing/hairspring assembly, which can be similarly rotated just like the top part, except there is no slot/pin adjusting assembly.
In that case move the slot part vertical (that is the mid position) and then adjust the bottom part that the pointer is set correctly, then you will have proper range of zero pint adjustment with the screw.
I don't quite see "a similar bearing/hairspring assembly at the bottom".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200312_220040.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	200819   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200312_220239.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	200820   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200312_220255.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	200821  

Last edited by regenfreak; 12th Mar 2020 at 11:34 pm.