View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2005, 11:48 pm   #1
adibrook
Retired Dormant Member

Default My attempt at a TRF

All this talk about TRF's and regens has really motivated me to try and build one. After all, theyre supposed to be simple. So, earlier today i went to Wilcos and bought a baking tray (hhhm i mean shassis ) ).

Normally when i do thigns like that i do abit and then get bored and go do something else. But for some reason i was motivated today, so i managed to nearly build one. All thats left is the wiring round the pentode regen detector thing.

Hers a couple of pics.

(BTW you may notice that thers a 6SN7 there...but thers supposed to be a 6SJ7. Thats only there because i wanted to make sure the valve plugged in ok, and thats the only octal i had handy).

The bad quality pic has the tuning coil (vanish still abit wet!) on it. I wount it on the inside tube of a toilet roll (classic!) and used very thi wire scavanged from a transformer.

Anyway, i hope to finish the wiring tomorrow and maybe fire it up.

The brass stud sticking out of the shassis is the tuning cap. Its the only place i could put it. Abit un-othodox maybe, but i dont mind. I dont think i'll bother with any kind of scale or anythign, just a knob.

There will also be a volume, reaction and possible tone pot sticking out the front.

i'm pretty impressed. Normally it takes me longer to do stuff like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trf.JPG
Views:	370
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	1948   Click image for larger version

Name:	trf2.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	1949