View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2018, 6:02 pm   #89
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Re: Bach with sparks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolical Artificer View Post
"In the unlikely case that it was caused by RF energy from the teslas in my brain that caused it" - is this a possibility, if however unlikely?? Didn't know high energy RF could be dangerous, though thinking about it it's not too dissimilar to microwave energy.
Hi Andy, microwaves from a microwave oven have a wavelength approx 12cm. They can't penetrate human cells as they are utterly gigantic in comparison, despite the 'micro' misnomer.

I am not saying they can't damage human tissue as they obviously can under very unnatural circumstances that would have to be set up deliberately.

The wavelength of Albert's coils is approx 1200 metres
= 1200 *100cm
=1.2E5 cm

So Albert's waves are 10,000 times longer than the wavelength of a domestic microwave oven.

They absolutely can't penetrate human cells. On the other hand, the very large charges that build up in things that surround a Tesla coil in operation can and easily do lead to RF burns. Typically, we'll see pretty brush corona bursting out of the corners of metal objects, including nearby white goods, etc.

I've had a burn from a nearby metal object even with just 20W RF out when tweaking a drive circuit --- and Albert's cooking with a few hundred watts of RF.

I'm not the big expert on RF burns, except that even a small one does noticeable damage to visible tissues like fingertips. I have no idea what they can do to the inside of the body. I'd suggest caution around anyone with cardiac tendencies including arrythmias, or allowing any RF to pass across the heart.

I'm very very skeptical of the 'safety' of demos which have a Tesla coil operator demonstrating the 'harmlessless' attributed to the 'skin effect' (literally, in this case, of human skin) while allowing a plasma discharge to a finger or hand with massive levels of power. Note, I am saying this is NOT safe. I have never done this and will never do it.

Last edited by Al (astral highway); 2nd Nov 2018 at 6:08 pm.