View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2021, 5:31 pm   #2
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: Quad II and Quad 22 with modern sources and speakers

Hello and welcome to the forum. There are many Quad experts on here, so you're in the right place!
Taking your questions one at a time:
1. They shouldn't! As a check you can disconnect the preamp from the IIs and see if that or the 22 is causing the hiss.
2. Depends how the modification's been done, but I don't see why not.
3. The main thing is to ensure the output transformer has been configured for the correct impedance. Easy to do - change a tapping. Bear in mind the IIs give out only 15 'real' watts, so effficient speakers are a must. I'd stick with the MAs for now, then maybe let your ears do the choosing, though trying them with your system is essential. I use some large Tannoy floorstanders, but again it's your choice. The ESLs sound great but are getting on now and need to be in excellent shape. Besides, some regard them as pig ugly - I make no comment...
4. I gave up on the 22 years ago and have used preamps by NAD, Audiolab and presently a Yamaha surround system (front channels) with good results.

Obviously much of this is subjective, but if you're returning the equipment to Quad for a service then it's worth deciding now whether you want to include the 22. If you're using an array of modern sources then perhaps another preamp would be worth considering, especially if you're going to feed it with a turntable and a modern cartridge, though many other forum members could (and will) disagree with me.
IMHO the Quad II design is a classic (possibly a flawed classic) but time has marched ahead of the poor old 22. Again, just my opinion.