View Single Post
Old 12th May 2021, 10:20 am   #10
ajgriff
Nonode

Default Re: Painting a Straight Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinnewcastl View Post
Masking would have been a nightmare!
Inventive and a successful outcome but I'm not entirely convinced that a masking/rattle can approach would have led to bad dreams.

Poor results using masking tape often stem from selecting the wrong type of tape. Standard decorators' tape invariably leads to disappointing results when a fine edge is required. The answer is to use modellers' tape which is widely available from modelling suppliers in various widths. It's a bit more expensive than ordinary tape but is well worth the extra cost. Modellers' tape doesn't bleed, adheres well and won't pull at the paint when removed.

The attached photos illustrate a couple of my re-painting efforts. Both of these paint jobs were done with spray cans using modellers' masking type for the fine edges. Clearly tape application is fiddly and time consuming but is well worth the effort in my view. It's perfectly possible to achieve nice straight lines by pulling the tape taut as it's applied.

The only difficulty for the box being discussed here might be the textured surface. However in similar situations it should be possible to amelliorate the possible problem of 'paint bleed' by spraying successive fine coats.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R505 Masked Grille.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	233831   Click image for larger version

Name:	R505 Sprayed Grille.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	233832   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tape Door Masking.JPG