View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2021, 11:52 pm   #101
William78
Triode

Default Re: Radio Caroline Power Increase

At midday today I could get Caroline on my Roberts R600 and also my Panasonic Rf1105 Portable just with their internal ferrite rod aerials. It was not that strong but you could listen to it well enough. Putting my 70cm MW tuned loop near made a major difference, it was at comfortable strength, very pleasant to listen to.
Before the power increase I could not hear Caroline without the loop, (in the day anyway).

With the Murphy B40D and its "long" wire at midday again, Caroline was a good signal with a lot less noise than before the power increase.

Last night the signal strength went up so I could listen on the portables without the loop but the signal was subject to fading, even so there were long periods of good signal strength. The loop does not seem to make much difference at night, maybe on deep fades but not much.

The same story with the B40D at night. Signal a lot stronger but with fading.

Now that they have boosted the power this seems to be very similar to when they were broadcasting from the Ross Revenge back in the 80s. Night time reception might even be better today.

William