View Single Post
Old 5th Sep 2022, 10:58 am   #65
Valvepower
Octode

Default Re: Fender Vibro Champ Amp

Hello,

Storing any electronic equipment in a damp environment is not desirable, and if it was over a long period the damp ingress will cause failures.

There were a brief discussion regards dampness in Fender amplifiers in this thread... https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=189878

I’ve had valves fail with short or open circuit electrodes. A valve in combo amplifier is subject to vibration which will eventually rattle the valve so much it could start to cause short or open circuit electrodes.

I was going through the toy box last week, and I have some old school 70’s(?) GE 6L6GC and 5881 pulls which may have some life in them – I’d have to find out.

Regards testing output transformers you can do basic resistance tests of the windings along with open and short circuits in the windings and shorts to the core etc. using a DVM or similar, however, to check the insulation of the windings you’d need an insulation tester. To check turns ratio, you’ll need a signal generator and an accurate AC meter… But saying all that, checking with a DVM, or similar meter will give a go no-go test on a transformer.

… I really should get that Mk4 Mullard valve tester I got I the Wotton Bassett auction in July commissioned.

Terry