View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2019, 10:56 pm   #42
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: Does anyone remember 3.25-inch spools?

This thread has grown into a really interesting collection of small tapes. I've now dusted off a few of mine...

- a Scotch 3" 'Tape a letter' alongside a Grundig 3" TDP7, which holds 400' of D.P. tape

- a similar Scotch reel hiding inside an Emitape box, together with a Grundig tape type T5 from an early Stenorette dictating machine. This is 85mm in diameter and designed for single direction play only; the centre hole is larger than standard tape reels and only has the three slots (at 120 degrees apart) in its lower surface, together with a spring clip to hold it firmly on the Stenorette's left hand turntable

- a rather cute Philips 3" LP8, alongside one of my newly-acquired 3 1/4" tapes, the reels of which are moulded with the words "85mm reel - Made in Japan" which compares with similar-looking standard 3" reels that say "76mm reel - Made in Japan"

I have measured the diameter of the Grundig Stenorette reel and one of the Japanese "85mm reels" and they are both exactly 85mm, which actually converts to 3 11/32", slightly over 3 1/4". Was 3 1/4" derived by converting 85mm to the nearest quarter inch, or did 3 1/4" become a British standard in its own right? I wonder if someone could kindly measure a British 3 1/4" reel?

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tapes scotch & grundig.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	178240   Click image for larger version

Name:	tapes scotch and 3 14 grundig.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	178241   Click image for larger version

Name:	tapes philips LP8 & new 3 14.jpg